It was the swing era, the time of BIG Bands, like Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Lionel Hampton and Duke Ellington. It was during the days of segregation in the North and the South. Educational opportunities were limited, as well as careers, employment and experiencing the joy of the American Dream. Endowed with lighthearted spirits, creative minds and progressive ideas, a group of young businesswomen gathered in 1942 in Detroit, Michigan to form a club. At the meeting, much conversation ensued, but there were questions…
— We need a name
– We need officers (a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, etc.)
– What is the purpose of this club?
– Oh Yes! We will have some parties, dances and fun
– We need to have some rules and regulations
– We will need to pay some dues and think of ways to raise money
– Most clubs have colors – what will we select?
– What are the requirements for joining this club?
“Let’s have a Sorority,” said Juanita Parnell and thus it was born, ever growing and attracting thousands of women across the land. There was much research to be done, learning all about the Greek alphabet, filing and complying with the rules of the State of Michigan, setting up the structure of the organization, forming a constitution, establishing rituals and other details too numerous to tell.
There was a three-fold purpose in forming the Sorority:
1) To aid worthy-students in education
2) Promote reputable standards for growth and harmony
3) To further community and civic activities
It is with love, great reverence and honor that we salute these eight women today and always. We affectionately call them our “Pearls.”
Our Pearls envisioned the organization spreading the word near and far. The pathway was made to be illuminated by the symbol of a “Star,” reaching all women in the business and professional fields.
Lewis Business College
Tau Gamma Delta Sorority, Inc. first and foremost a service organization – the original club was founded at Lewis Business College under the name of Phi Gamma Delta Sorority in 1942. The name was changed to Tau Gamma Delta Sorority Inc. on October 17, 1951. The Articles of Incorporation papers were filed in the Michigan Corporation and Commission on December 12, 1951. The headquarters of the Sorority is located in the city of Detroit in the state of Michigan.
Tau Gamma Delta Sorority, Inc. soon became a national service organization of college graduates and undergraduates with chapters throughout the United States.
We continue on our way loving and serving mankind each and every day. More and more chapters are being added to our band, spreading the good news of TGD throughout this glorious land. We have linked our Pale Pink and Pale Blue chain from coast to coast.